- Long term focus on developing core academic skills.
- Skills can be applied across all subject areas and used throughout their academic career.
- Weekly sessions reinforce their skills by providing the opportunity for the student to incorporate the skill into their regular school-work and receive regular feedback from the coach.
- Weely monitoring creates routine and structure.
- Coach provides motivation, discipline and builds confidence.
Academic Coaching is most appropriate when:
- Short term focus on re-teaching content.
- Does not address the reasons why a student is struggling with content.
- Places responsibility for learning on the teacher and the the tutor, instead of the student.
- On-going tutoring can create a dependency if the student prefers to be taught one-on-one instead of in a classroom setting. Tutoring can become a substitute for learning in the classroom.
Tutoring is most appropriate when: